Friday 14 March 2008

There's No Helping Some People

A little while back when I was trying to get my tailoring up to 360 I made some Netherweave Robes. A LOT of netherweave robes. Now did I go to the AUction House and blindly put them all up for sale for whatever random figure the Blizz AH suggested?

No of course I didn't. I looked then the current cloth armour market and determined that there was 2 other Netherweave Robes up from 2 other people around the 8 gold mark and other comparable robes were around the same price.

So I put 1 - ONE - of my robes up for 7 gold 99 silver 99 Copper. Undercutting by 1 copper. Yes that annoys some people, I don't get why, but it does. In my mind I have something to sell, of course I will undercut the others as I want MINE to sell, and why undercut by 4 gold and completely depress the market. That's just plain retarded.

So I carry on with my auctioneering and later on do a quick check to see if it's sold or has any bids on and what do I see - some fuktard has put up 5 for a 50% discount - what a prick.

My first instinct was to whisper him something along the lines of "Are you a fuktard or just plain stupid?" - That was the politest thing I thought of saying. Instead I thought I'd take a more polite an educational approach.

Hmmm


Next Time I will just call him a fuktard and put him on ignore.

Unfortunately on this occasion he might not have learnt his lesson. If he put them on for a 48 Auction then they all sold (Or an even greater fuktard ignored his auctions) because when I logged back on later my robe had sold after all!

Seriously, did I not come over polite and helpful?

5 comments:

Nibuca said...

If I remember right.. those robes DE for a profit of around 5-8g. As an enchanter I long for bored skill leveling and snap up 14 Netherweave robes.. for 4g each.. then disenchant them and resell the mats for ~8-20g a pop. :)

Netherweave Robes..a nd .. um.. some jewelcrafting recipe is how I make most of my money.

Natalie said...

Um, well, I might have ignored you too. First of all, although you did come off as polite and helpful, your help was not requested. Some people consider doing that as being a "buttinski," which they'd consider rude. Also, if I may be completely honest, although I agree with your indignation and the thoughts behind it, your advice to the person was completely self-centered. That is, what you said to him was only meant to help you, and really offered nothing for him. The truth is, he has the right to sell what he wants to sell at whatever price he wants to sell it at. You cannot bully a free market to provide you with whatever profit you'd like to receive. You yourself must adapt to the market, not the other way around.

Let me give you an example. I got an Orb of Deception worth, in theory, about 700G on the AH. I kept posting it and someone would post theirs for 500G or 350G. This annoyed me, not only because I knew I wouldn't sell mine but also because I wouldn't get the price *I* thought I "deserved" (which is a bad way of thinking to begin with). So instead of taking a loss, I put the Orb in my bank for about a month and then posted it again. It sold for 700G.

I'm not sure if you really wanted an answer to the question at the bottom of your post, but that's my opinion.

Ardent Defender said...

I'm a avid AH seller as well as knowing the price of my goods I sell because the things I sell I sell them day in day out so I know the average fluctuation or mean price somewhat. Here is my take...

Its ok to be polite, I've done that too. I've done what you did just been polite, and more of a concern to just why a perticular I dont regularly see selling an item is all of a sudden depressing the market. I know what the average price is. The person selling in how I'm looking at it may not be aware. So if I did contact the person I was being both polite and curious. I dont usually say to the seller profit margin on and item, I know what it is. Often I just tell them hey I sell this item all the time you might be new, but you can get a higher price for the item. Not if that person want to be an ass after that been polite its up to them. People who dont make much profit dont typically stick to a perticular item long. Things I sell I been selling for months.

Now having said that often what I typically do is someone selling their stuff cheap or whatever if there are not many the item listed I may put up one I'd two and at my price because I know the market. If its a competitive common item I put it up close to competitive price however NEVER at a loss. I dont sell anything at a loss. Quite often depending on the item if market price is depressed I just elect not to sell my item that session, day or week. I just sell it another day when its my market.

It is my experience that even if you are sincere and polite at times to a person they will and can still act like an ass if they feel they somehow look stupid in the face of common sense or any other logic statement.

Its no different that just the other day I was trying to help another paladin improve his gear with very sound advice, he had horrible enchants and tallent spread as a tank thats destined to fail big. I was totally polite in our conversation. To be honest he didn't want my advice and will play his toon the way he wants. You can't be too polite to some people.

Natalie said...

I've been thinking about this and I think the best way to handle it might have been to just buy up his stuff quickly and resell it at your own price. Therefore you keep the market you want, you make a profit, and you teach people who sell to cheaply not to do that by example.

MarcusMaximi said...

@Gamedame - hehe, I was thinking of that, but I didn't want to encourage him!!
On lower value items I will often buy out many stacks or items if I know they will sell for a higher price!

@Galo, yeah I read your post about the poor tanking gear, that's what inspired me to write this post :)