Tuesday 8 April 2008

Champion of the Naaru

I'll fill out the entire quest line in a post soon (yeah, don't hold your breath!) However, after quite a bit of frigging about you get sent back to A'dal and he wants you to do 4 trials.

Trial of the Naaru: Strength (Steamvaults and Shadow LAbs)
Trial of the Naaru: Tenacity (Shattered Halls)
Trial of the Naaru: Mercy (Arcatraz)

Once you have completed these on heroic difficulty you will get the final trial which I believe has you down Magtheridon, gain the title and be attuned for SSC (OK, attunement obviously doesn't matter anymore).

TiceNits and I got a tank who wanted to DPS last night, so I respecced tank and then we got another DPS and a healer. All guildies. All Mains.

The priest asked if I was Retadin, because we had a guild tank along, I replied that No, I was the tank and the warrior had respecced DPS.

The priest replied that we were all doomed!!! Nothing like getting me nervous!!!

I spent 110 gold putting +strength and +stamina gems in my new T5 tanking shoulders and then off we went to Steamvaults.

I managed to remember the pulls this time and we had a mage(TiceNits) instead of a hunter(TiceNits' alt) for crowd control. We cleared all the way to boss #1 and 1-shot him.

We moved onto Tinkey-What-Eva Boss #2 and one shot him, quicker than we have done in normals too!

We move onto Kalithresais-whateva the last boss and 1-shot him as he is on his second tank. Woot. We loot his trident and I get the second Primal Nether I need for my spellstrike (or whatever) set.

Summary: 50 gold to spec Protection, I tanked Heroic, 1 wipe (right at start - noob), Primal Nether, 3 Badges of Justice, 34 Gold repair bill.

So, onto Shadow Labs for the second part. Boss #1 was 1 shotted, then we cleared through to Blackheart the Inciters room and I nub-pulled on one of the slavemasters and got her and 8 mobs - DOH!

After an 8 mob pull on Heroic where we only have 1 sheeped and I am consecrating like mad I would end up the fight on full mana - Spiritual Attunement FTW. The priest asked me after a 6-pull how I was on full mana at the end of the fight. DOH! "I get mana back from being healed". She said "So its best to have big pulls then?" ... "OH YES!"

By now I was confident enough that 3 mob pulls did not require CC so now CC = Constant Consecration!!

Blackheart gave us some trouble with 2 unlucky initial attempts both of which ended with me and the dps shaman healing me. On attempt 2 he went form 25% to 75% after one of his funny games. Dunno what happened there :(

Attempt 3 wiped the floor with him for no casualties and we moved onto Vorpil.

We discussed whether to nuke or kite him. TiceNits and I both thought that as it was heroic it was probably best to kite him, I know how to kite him. But the dps shammy was saying we should just nuke, there was some discussion which ended with me saying "Sod it, we'll just nuke him and if it fucks up we'll kite him on attempt 2" and then I ran in and pulled, everyone nuked the fuck out of him, when his voidies started coming I inched away and probably only moved 10 yards when he summoned us. I backed out of his rain of fire and he was dead!!! WTF I have never seen him go down so quick, let alone in a heroic. And with the sustained nuking he got I never lost aggro once!!

So onto Murmur, we engaged, got an unlucky sonic boom (I think) and wiped, we re-entered the instance and the message on chat channel said the instance would re-set in 8 minutes!!! WTF? The Raid pane showed 8 hours to reset. Sod it we ran back to murmur and Twatted him good and proper just in case!! I died at 6% right on the perimeter of his sonic boom, I was down to 10% and got hit by a ball of fire before the priest could heal me, but the others nuked him down anyway and we got his Essence for the quest.

Summary: I tanked 2nd heroic, 1 nub-wipe, 2-Blackheart wipes and 1 Murmur wipe, 4 Badges of Justice, 19 gold repair bill, 50 gold re-specc to look forward to tomorrow!

All in all a great night, I got to tank again, I got to tank TWO heroics, I think I may have given 3 guildies an insight into the awesomeness that is Tankadins :)

On top of that is 7 Badges of Justice and the Primal Nether all for 120 gold and 3 hours of my time! Hahaha

119 Badges :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just sorta stumbled upon this post through google. I thought I'd give you a quick tip:

Do NOT use strength gems at a prot-paladin (at least, not until 3.0.2/Wrath). In the current game strength gives almost nothing to a tanking paladin. All worthwhile threat is through spelldamage.

MarcusMaximi said...

Hi Dave, Thanks for your comment.

I think at the time I was putting strength on to aid my block rating/value (whatever!) not realising how badly strength converts to block.

I've never had a problem with threat, probably due to how ugly I made my avatar!!