Monday 17 December 2007

Tankadin Stamina

Figures Totally Updated - must have been pissed when I was working out the figures!

Did some mathcraft on avoidance versus stamina now that I have my Aegis shield and Phalanx bracers. I have gone from thinking "loads of extra stamina" to "absolutely no point" to this afternoon's "Worth doing some additions" to this evenings realisation that almost all the defence I can remove from the gems is given by the shield and bracers. So those gems can now be almost entirely replaced with stamina. Woot!

I think its not going to be as beneficial as at first thought on the boost to stamina front, but let me work through the maths again.

I originally thought that as I had 510 Defence I could lose 20 Defence points and replace all that with Stamina.

So back to Zen Tanking for some Maths.

Quote:



At 70, 2.4 Defense rating converts to 1 Defense skill.

So the 20 Defence Skill I can lose is made up of 2.4 * 20 = 48.0 Defence Rating.

First impressions was that I could take 48 Defence gems out and replace them all with Stamina gems.

Luckily, before I went ahead and made this purchase I realised that Defence Skill also contributes to Combined Avoidance.

By reducing Defence from 510 to 490 I will also lose 3.216% Combined avoidance. Now with the bracers and the shield I have added around 2.06% 3.0579% combined avoidance. So to regain 102.4% avoidance out of those 48 defence points I need to make up 0.1581% with dodge gems.

But, of course I'll also need to take into account that I was actually above 102.4% CA so can probably lose a fraction of that too. I think I may have been at 102.8% so that's another 0.4% to lose for a total of 0.5% more CA I can afford to drop.

Edit: having respecced back to prot my CA is now 105.8853 so this loss of 3.216% reduces my combines avoidance to 102.6693.

Having worked out the standard deviation (right phrase?) of my actual CA against my calculated CA to be about 0.1% I should assume I am about 0.15% over.

As dodge contributes 0.053% CA per point that means I need to put +2.98 dodge rating back in to make up for the loss of avoidance from reducing my defence. OK, so that's 22 dodge gems.

Dodge comes in batches of +8 so I'll have to get 3 of them, that's 24 dodge.

But now I have overkilled avoidance again with a boost of 1.272% (24 * 0.053%) as opposed to the required 1.156% and increase of 0.116


So, Defence now sorted and I want to up any shortfall with dodge, so those stats sorted.

Block next, well I don't think I have, or they even exist, any block gems. All my block rating comes directly from the gear, so I don't have to worry about that. The consequence of this is that my quandary between removing block rating or adding stamina is over. I have to add stamina! Edit: No block gems.

Sidenote: I'm not even going to worry about Agility, I'm going to assume that I don't have BoK going and I'm pretty sure that none of my gear has any + Agility on it, so any part that Agility plays in my avoidance is static and is made up from my base stats. Edit: +20 Agility on Garona's Signet Ring which is 0.8% CA so any new ring has to replace that :(

Last, but not least, well yes least actually as it's pretty crap, Parry, as this has the worst conversion ratio, 0.0423%, I want to lose any parry gems in preference for dodge and stamina.

I think I have 2 +8 parry gems, maybe 1, maybe 3. Each gem adds 0.3384% Combined avoidance. Edit: I have 2 +8 Parry gems in red gem sockets.

So losing 2 parry gems I lose 0.6768% combined avoidance, reduced by around 0.15% leeway that I have from the new armour and the loss of defence gems, so I need to put in enough dodge to make up 0.5268% CA.

1 Dodge gem ([Subtle Living Ruby] ) will add 0.424% and Defenders Tanzanite will add 0.2115% making 0.6355% well within limits! Both go in a red slot so wil replace the parry gems in the red slots of my helmet and waist.

OK, so at this point I want to replace all but +16 of my defence gems with stamina.

My slots are as follows:

Head
Red +5 spell dmg + 6 stamina
Yellow +4 defence +6 stamina
Blue +4 defence +6 stamina

Shoulder
Red +8 dodge
Yellow +8 defence

Chest
Yellow +8 defence
Blue +4 defence +6 stamina
Blue +4 defence +6 stamina

Shield
Red Nothing
Red Nothing
(newly acquired +18 stamina)

Hands
Red +8 parry (replace with +8 dodge)
Yellow +8 defence

Waist
Red +8 parry (replace with +5parry +stamina until I can lose parry)
Yellow +4 defence +6 stamina

Legs
Red +5 spell dmg + 6 stamina
Yellow +8 defence
Yellow +8 defence

Feet
Red +8 dodge
Blue +4 defence +6 stamina

I'm not going to do the comparison now because it is midnight but the gems that have the stamina on that I want are:

Red: None
Yellow: None
Green: Solid Star of Elune +12 Stamina
Orange(Red or Yellow slot): None
Green:(Yellow or Blue slot): Jagged Talasite +4 Crit +6 Stamina
Green:(Yellow or Blue slot):Enduring Talasite +4 Defence +6 Stamina
Green:(Yellow or Blue slot): (Vendor 40 Apexis Shards - Ogri'la?) +4 Int +6 Stamina
Purple:(Red or Blue slot): Sovereign Nightseye +4 Strength (aids block) +6 Stamina
Purple:(Red or Blue slot): Glowing Nightseye +5 Spell Damage +6 Stamina

NB There are other purple gem that add Stamina and Agility or Attack Power but that is white damage increase and pallies threat is unmodified for white damage so yellow damage is better. So I am going to ignore them.

OK. So tommorrow I will work our what gems I want for each slot.

So course of action:

  1. Check actual figures and work through previous calculations again
  2. Check I have no block gems
  3. Check I have 2 * +8 parry Gems
  4. Map out gem socket colours and required gems and ensure a match - In Progress
  5. Replace +48 defence with stamina or something
  6. Replace parry gems
  7. Enchant the bracers with something.
  8. Enchant shield with stamina

If my calculations have gone awry then this is going to be awfully expensive in blue gems, so I will be doing it one gem at a time and comparing the results with what I have calculated. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Nilum said...

:-O Ahhhhh! Math!
This is why I could never make it as a tankadin. I'd spend more time calculating my gear than raiding lol.