Thursday 28 August 2008

"Toto, I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore"

Something weird happened to me last Sunday as I was dual boxing and transitioning my shaman, HotPants, from Booty Bay to Gadgetzan.

EvilBastard got on the boat at BB fine but the boat knocked HotPants off the quay. No that's not it, I've had that happen before. Before HotPants could swim back round the boat left with only EB aboard :(

So, EB gets to Ratchet and moves up towards the griffon master and then something weird happened. Can't remember what, maybe I couldn't click on the flight master, or get off my mount, or maybe I was still running up towards him; whatever it was it eventually resulted in me getting a DC.

So, I switch back to HotPants and get her on the boat and then go to log EB back in. When he reappears all the landscape is gone and he is falling through a landless void, but all the NPCs and mobs are also falling. Then he dies just like you would if you fell into the Twisting Nether in Outland.

OK, I think, I'll release spirit and I'll be back at the graveyard. Err ... No. Instead of his ghost appearing at the graveyard he is alive. Err ... but falling through the sky again. Except I'm not in Kansas anymore. EvilBastard falls to his death, again, but on the grassy plains of Arathi Highlands. Err ... WTF?

So, now he releases spirit once more but he doesn't go to the graveyard, the "Resurrect Now" window appears. Why? Because his body is about 20 feet in the air above his head.

He's standing right next to a big wall made out of logs. Hmmm, what could that be? Yep Hammerfall. Not the most friendly place for a gnome to be!

Resurrect Now! Falling gnome. Luckily it wasn't too far a drop this time and he lands on his feet and without looking back to see if the nasty orcs had spotted him he high-tails it out of there.

Oh, it doesn't stop there. Nope. As he is running away 3 Savannah Prowlers (yep - level 15ish lions from The Barrens) fall from the sky, glitch for a few seconds and then sit back down again. I guess to them a grassy plain in Arathi is not too far removed from a grassy plain in the Barrens, just a little more lush!

Interesting, screenshot or it didn't happen!

On he goes, figuring, sod this I'll just run to Refuge Pointe and fly back to Booty Bay or maybe Wetlands. More prowlers falling from the sky, and what's that up there? There are some of the raptors from the Barrens. And some of those Centaur things with their Hyenas. All looking like they are falling but suspended in mid air. What's that? A bonfire? Yes, there is a bonfire suspended up there too. And that? A chest! Haha. A Kodo and several of the giraffe type things! It looks like the whole of the Barrens has fallen through the floor and is now suspended about 50 feet above Arathi.

Alrighty, I'll put in a ticket and continue getting HotPants to Gadgetzan. She gets there and hands in her quests and collects the next batch and then off to Booty Bay again with me checking back on the progress of EBs ticket every once in a while.

Some time later I get a response from the GM and explain the situation again, I think he thinks I'm more interested in getting a free port back to Barrens, but I really just wanted to make them aware of the animals floating above Arathi!

He says "Hang on, we'll have you sorted in a second, hopefully without even logging you off" and up comes the loading screen and we're in ... Lordaeron! Hahahhahaha.

Off again into the loading screen we're back in the Barrens, not too far from Ratchet. In fact probably the same distance and direction from Ratchet as he'd run from Hammerfall.

Who's that standing next to me in blue robes and a green nameplate? I've never seen an NPC out here. Hang on, that's no NPC - that's a GM*

Time for a /thanks and a quick /inspect. Hehe, no Uber-DPS gear here. I want his gear!!

Hang on. That look looks familiar. Ah yes



*Weird thing about the GM was that the name of the one whispering me was one letter different than the one that stood in front of me. Say for instance the avatar stood in front of me was CornUcopia the one whispering me was CornOcopia. This makes we wonder if they have an avatar but maybe they just create a name to talk to you with

No comments: