Updated 01/05/2009 for live 2009 event.
Before you even start you can stockpile the following.
- Tigole and Foror's Strawberrry Ice Cream - available beforehand from Caregiver Isel in the Inn in Telaar. Get 2. One for the achievement and one for a quest.
- Tasty Cupcake - made by cooking.
- Delicious Chocolate Cake - made by cooking.
- Lovely Cake Slice - buy a lovely cake from Aimee near the horde-side bank in Dalaran and use it, you should get a slice from it.
- Red Velvet Cupcake - buy from Aimee.
- Dalaran Brownie - buy from Aimee.
- Dalaran Doughnut - buy from Aimee.
- Go to Stormwind Cathedral and pick up your orphan.
- Eat all the things you have already collected in front of your orphan for Bad Example.
- He'll give you quests to go round the world showing you things. Go to Westfall lighthouse then Stonewraught Dam in Loch Modan.
- Hearthstone with your orphan out - this will give you achievement - Home Alone.
- Portal to Darnassus and do the travelling quest with your orphan at the bank.
- Go to Theramore and speak to Jaina at the top of the tower to get her autograph for the next quest.
- Give your orphan the ice cream and you can now get the Warden of the Alliance quest which will get you a pet for Aw, Isn't it Cute?.
- Maybe best not to do the Aw, Isn't It Cute? until later in case you lose the orphan. But there also might be follow up quests leading to a new pet in Shatrath, I can't remember!! Breaking News: You get a Draneii Orphan Whistle and new quests in Shatrath- just checking if you can get achievements with the Draniee Orphan. Next Update: You get PvP credits when you have Draneii Orphan out, so you're probably OK!
- Do a daily quest with your orphan out (you will need to do 1 a day for 5 days).
- Now it's PvP time: ((While doing the next one make sure to kill 10 enemy players who have an orphan. - looks like this has gone.))
- Return a flag in Warsong Gulch, Assault a flag in Arathi Basin, Assault a tower in Alterac Valley and Capture a flag in EOTS; all with your orphan out. This should give you School of Hard Knocks.
- If you haven't killed 10 enemy players yet then finish this off to get you Once an Orphan.... Looks like this one has been removed.
- Pop along to Utgarde Pinnacle and kill King Ymiron for Hail to the King. Easy :P Make sure you have your orphan out though!
- Day 5 - Do your last daily quest with your orphan out - you have been doing them every day haven't you? This will give you Daily Chores and give you the meta-achievement Matron or Patron.
The only other achievement is Veteran Nanny which is not required for the meta-achievement and probably requires you to have completed the quest chain for the previous 2 years.
I was sure I had; but I only had one pet, meaning I only completed it last year - Grrrr!